Occasionally someone asks me, “What’s it like to work in Technical Support at Rio Grande?” Usually my answer is easily summed up by the big grin on my face. Being part of the Tech Support Team is really cool.
The job may not be what what one thinks of as a typical tech support position. Although a good part of our day can be spent at our desks answering customer questions, that’s not the only thing we do – not by a long shot. Our fundamental goal is to help customers get the right tools and supplies for the job they’re doing and to help them get information they need.
Here is a small list things we do in Tech Support on a typical day:
- Answer phones – First and foremost we are here to answer your questions on the phone. Talking and connecting with people is one of the best parts of the job. We’re available 7am – 6pm which allows us to talk to people around the world.
- Live chat – We chat online from our website, and it’s another way that we interact with customers, particularly those across the globe. We help people navigate the website and we help them choose the right tools and materials for the job. We’ll even help walk people through a process.
- Testing – This is the really fun part! We get to test the latest and greatest tools, making sure they’ll live up to our customers’ expectations. After testing, we make recommendations to improve the products’ functionality, gear it’s packaging toward our customers’ needs, and address safety concerns. We do testing in our state-of-the-art, in-house studio (We call it “The LAB”, because that sounds more official and slightly secretive).
- Teaching – Many of us here in Tech teach the classes at Rio. Soldering, Metal Clay, Stone Setting, Casting, Hydraulic Die-forming, Enameling and more are all taught by Tech Team members. Teaching hands-on classes also improves our ability to teach over the phone and via email or chat.
- Travel – This is a really fun part of what we do! Members of our team often travel across the country to attend trade shows and do on-site training.
This is just a small list of what our days are like here at Rio. The most common thread of a job in Tech Support is: LEARNING. We all have a passion for knowing more and evolving. It’s our goal to be up-to-date on current trends and processes in the industry. One of the ways we achieve this is by following forums and blogs and also by being active members in the jewelry community. We strive to be fluent in every aspect of the trade and to become masters at what we do; a lofty goal, but it’s part of our pursuit of knowledge.
So, working on the Tech Support Team is not just a desk job, it’s much, much more than that. Around here, no two days are ever the same and the day goes by quickly.
Our motto is “LEARN, LIVE, AND HAVE FUN”
As luck would have it, we’re looking for a new Tech Support team member to join us right now! If you’re interested in finding out more about the positions we currently have available, click here.