Rio Grande offers PMC (precious metal clay) classes for the beginner as well as the advanced PMC artist. If you’re not familiar with PMC, you’ve got to check it out. This medium can be formed, rolled, carved, filed and then fired (in a kiln or with a torch); once the binder burns away, you’re left with a solid, metal piece! We have lots of metal clay projects and videos, blog posts, and how-tos on PMC, kilns, and tools.
Coming up this fall, we will be offering two PMC classes in Albuquerque at Rio Grande. You’ll enhance your skills and leave the classroom wondering why you didn’t take these classes sooner.
You’ll learn from award-winning jeweler, instructor, author, metal clay enthusiast, and all-around cool gal Yvonne M. Padilla. She exudes a wide-eyed enthusiasm for jewelry-making, fashion trends and art, all while encouraging—insisting—that students embrace design freedom and let their imaginations run wild. “I love watching the light bulb moment when students get it,” she says. “I also love seeing their designs and interpretations!” Read more about Yvonne.
Here’s what you’ll learn in this one-day class:
- Learn about this amazing medium called Precious Metal Clay™ (PMC®), its workability and the tools you can use to sculpt, carve and shape it.
- Get hands-on as you make a pendant from a mold.
- See how easy it is to texture PMC using stamps as you make “5-Minute Earrings.”
- Make a custom bail to use with your pendant.
- Discover PMC’s versatility, even in its dried state, as you sand, texture and carve in preparation for firing.
- Learn about kilns, the firing process and watch a demo of torch-firing.
- Discover the remarkable things that can happen when you learn how to “correct” those happy accidents and how easy it is to fix mistakes at every step of the process.
- Try out beautiful post-fire finishing techniques you can achieve by hand, as well as patinas to add color to your pieces.
- Finally, enjoy open studio time when you can let your imagination run wild, creating anything you like!
Beginning PMC is the perfect place to start!
November 1 – 3
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Some of our favorite words in the dictionary describe PMC® award-winning designer Patrik Kusek: Enthusiastic, inventive, clever, determined and without a doubt, passionate. You see it in his playful and thoughtful designs, and when he’s teaching a classroom full of students. His love of his chosen medium and its ability, in the hands of an artist, to become the sterling embodiment of an idea, is contagious. Be forewarned: once you take a PMC class from Patrik, you’re a fellow enthusiast for life. Read more about Patrik.
Rio Grande’s Rio Rewards PMC® Certification Program is designed for the serious and dedicated PMC enthusiast who seeks the recognition that a standardized level of expertise offers. The curriculum is demanding and tests specific skills and techniques (apart from artistry) for working with PMC. Students who complete certification leave the class equipped with advanced skills and knowledge, prepared to teach PMC classes and to incorporate PMC into their own work, not to mention enjoying the benefit of discounts on more than 1,000 products as a member of the Rio Rewards program.
PMC Certification will take your skills to the next level
We hope to see you in one of these classes. However, if PMC is not your chosen medium (yet!) but you would like to further your jewelry-making skills, check out our jewelry-making classes page where you can browse by instructor, jewelry technique, or calendar date. As always, we’re ready to take your questions and hear you comments here at The Studio!