Holiday shopping season is around the corner! Are you ready to show off your jewelry? I mean, really ready? It takes some assessment and house cleaning to position your beautiful line of jewelry in the best possible light (no pun intended). To help you get the most from your displays this season we're sharing a helpful checklist of display and packaging details and then a great video with Mark Nelson which features even more display tips and ideas.
The Basics: Cleaning and Inspecting
- Vacuum your cases.
- Test the locks on your cases.
- Clean smudges off any display glass.
- Check your fabric displays. Are they snagged, dirty or dented?
- Clean, Polish and Shine. Do you have cleaning supplies on hand for both your jewelry and your displays?
Is Your Jewelry Visible and Harmoniously Arranged?
- Is everything positioned where your customer can easily see it? If it’s too low or too high, or if it’s competing with too many other visual elements, then your customer isn’t going to see it.
- Are any of your jewelry pieces being blocked by other displays or pieces in a significant way?
- Is there too much or not enough empty space in your display? If there’s not enough, then you may have created a cluttered visual landscape that competes with what you really want to emphasize—your beautiful work!
- Is the color scheme of your display complementing your work and providing enough contrast to make it really shine? Or is your color scheme too busy, distracting, or dull? You want your jewelry to pop and take center stage!
- Does your lighting bring out the luster and sparkle in your jewelry? Check to see if your diamonds are hiding in the shadows.
- Can you use a streetside window to your advantage, to create a Macy’s-like dramatic holiday window display? Or, perhaps you can use multiple mirrors throughout the display—or even as backdrops—they multiply your light and create a luxurious mood.
Are Your Pieces Organized?
- Collections create a punch when they’re positioned as a group. Your customers can see what the ensemble might look like on themselves when you group jewelry together in the case. Consider, too, that your customer may love the style of five similar pieces but may not be able to afford them all. If the earrings are nearby and cost a little less, you increase your odds of getting a sale. Positioning will have paid off.
- Organize your pieces by collection to enhance the visual impact. Think of the familiar image of a field of poppies, versus one in your hand. A related group pops and leaves a lasting impression!
- Are you using organized chaos to your advantage? Some displays might be as simple as bangles in a basket. In this case, use the allure of the hunt to draw people in. Allow customers to search through piles of easy-to-handle, hard-to-damage jewelry, plucking their favorites and creating their own collection. There’s great psychological satisfaction to finally finding the right one and to selecting your favorites from among the many.
Are You Ready to Sell Your Jewelry?
- Are your pieces tagged appropriately for your inventory system, with a quick-but-discreet price reference on each piece?
- Do you have the right countertop accessories? Consider an attractive countertop mirror and a jewelry pad on which to place jewelry that your customer wants to see up close.
- Do you have the right packaging in which to send your customers’ selections home? Think of boxes or pouches, placed within larger bags. Ribbons and tissue paper can elevate your jewelry and show your customer you really care about them. If possible, stamp your logo on all your packaging and don’t forget to put a Sunshine Cloth in the bag—an inexpensive "thank-you" that speaks volumes.
The details really do tell your customer how much you care. If you’re going through this checklist and are not sure if you’ve nailed it, get the opinion of someone you trust! A friend will often see a detail you don’t, from the dirt on last year’s ring display, to the way your earrings are blocking your necklaces. Also, this list is by no means exhaustive, and rules are made to be broken. If you have some tips and tricks that serve you well, I invite you to share them with us by commenting here. And for any last-minute boxes, pouches, tissue, mirrors or other items, think Rio Grande first for in-stock-now and ready-to-ship!Comment on this article
Earth Day was Monday, and Mother’s Day is coming up Sunday, May 12. Between the two, it makes sense to highlight products that are sustainable and help care for Mother Earth. Check out these gorgeous mango wood displays and learn more about how Rio has worked for decades to be responsible stewards of the earth’s precious resources!...Read the Rest
We know you’d rather concentrate on making jewelry than on buying boxes. In fact, we’ve known a few jewelry makers who completely forgot that they even needed to buy boxes until the day before the show. (Don’t worry! We keep lots in stock, so we’ve got you covered!) We have them in so many colors and sizes, not to mention styles, that a few minutes here might give you some ideas about what to buy for your line…now and in the future....Read the Rest
Need some inspiration to spice up your store for the holidays? Entice your customers with these inviting arrangements. . .or share one of yours!...Read the Rest
We pay a lot of attention to making beautiful jewelry, but a piece can only look as appealing as the photographs that are taken of it. Here are a few photography tips from our in-house experts to help improve the look of your work in print (or on screen)!...Read the Rest
Did the stork arrive at your doorstep yet? You know, the mythical bird bringing the bouncing bundle of joy that is the 2013 Gems & Findings/Display & Packaging catalog? Okay, perhaps the latest Rio catalog is not your baby, but it surely is ours. After seven months of production, thousands of man (and woman!) hours, and hundreds of pots of coffee, the 2013 G&F/D&P catalog came into the world (and hot off the press) on June 20, 2012....Read the Rest
Looking for a unique display item to show off your wares and set you apart? Allow us to present our brand new Tranquili-Tree Metal Combination Display! Today, The Studio is featuring this heavy-duty metal display made by a metal artist here in Albuquerque. Take a look!...Read the Rest
We’re constantly adding new items at riogrande.com, and I asked each of Rio’s Product Managers to pick something new (or relatively new) to share with you on The Studio. Come on over to see their picks!...Read the Rest
We get such a kick out of some of the product reviews our customers submit on our website. Here’s the first of many posts that highlights five of our favs....Read the Rest
Rio Grande’s product managers shop the world to bring you the most exciting new stuff out there. I asked each of them (there are five) to give me a product they’re excited about so we can share it with you. Take a look at what they chose!...Read the Rest